Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, February 8, 2015

BOMs Away - Bringing Out "Star Crazy"!



Welcome to the Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays! 
We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately. 
This week's link-up is at the bottom of the post.


It's always somewhat exciting to get to pull a fresh BOM into the weekly line up. Since Ruffled Roses was finally finished last month, second Sundays were open for a new project. I thought I'd roll right into the other kit I bought long ago from The Quilt Show.

Star Crazy was their 2010 BOM, and it's also a design by Sue Garman. As it has no applique, this will go together far faster than Ruffled Roses did. Today I finished all of the Month 1 work: 2 of the large stars, 6 of the smaller, and some 38 HSTs for the borders.



On these old BOMs, I like cutting the whole thing out up front. That makes it nice each month to just pull out the next set of work and get going straight into the sewing. During odd minutes of time during the last few weeks I washed all these fabrics, ironed them, and started cutting. I finished cutting out all the white and got about halfway through the colors before my bone marrow biopsy the other day made it too uncomfortable to do the rest. You can see some of those in the baggies at the top of the table that I use to keep the pieces organized. Colors get their own bags, and the whites are divided even further by one size per bag. It all lives in a box together - typically a shipping box labeled on each side with the project name, which sits demurely in my BOMs armoir until its given workday each month. Between now and next month I'll finish cutting the other colors out, and then things will speed along super fast when I pull out the box and a couple months' directions at a time. (By the way, I use the paper stitch-through template method for this many HSTs.)




Eventually everything will grow up to become this:





~*~*~*~*~
So how about you? Have you done any work on BOMs lately?






/>

11 comments:

  1. I did the Star Crazy quilt back when it came out and loved it and I'm sure you will to. I am not currently working on a BOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this project! Can't wait to see it come together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oodles of HSTs in your near future! Thank you for hosting - this is still my favorite linkup!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - you like little pieces what with this quilt and Bonnie's. but you have them under control with that template paper. A lovely quilt in the making, Lyn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great quilt, I love the name. It'll be a nice change to do some quick piecing after the applique you've been doing. I've never tried the HST paper method but I always think it looks great, nice and accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynn, I'm just reading along about all your wonderful quilting endeavors when suddenly the words "bone marrow biopsy" jump off the page. Somehow along the way I missed something very important. I'm staggered. What is this about? I hope you are going to be okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love that quilt - your blocks look great for it. I'm putting this on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so organised! No wonder you get a lot done. This quilt is going to be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got most of the way through my Star Crazy quilt kit but never finished the top. I think I got hung up at the chain blocks. Maybe I should do the BOM month thing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This star crazy BOM is just lovely Lynette!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found this and I am looking for a used copy of Star Crazy. Anyone who might want to sell me their copy send me an E-mail at Jmikebalou(at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.