Quilt ADD in therapy

My photo
Colorado, United States
Other than my family, the passion of my life is quilting. An eclectic, I love a wide variety of styles and techniques encompassing both machine and hand work. I am a longarm quilter who can work for you. I enjoy any style, from pantographs to all-over to full custom, ranging from traditional to modern. I love bringing vintage tops to life and am willing to work with a challenging quilt top. Instagram: lyncc_quilts

Sunday, January 6, 2013

BOMs Away - 7 Jan 2013 - Working on Kelly's :)


https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEib6FEw-InTZOIaLrsh7raXFspj2e1T12kCO8l-1fE90gdy6n4l1MW2uvunLaRnasRzTevZmJGQUxFSneppP1tAy6D3038PFUnZoe3kZkA6pv4O9beBUFKk-l_8VIx2zK7QOjm3Pv7Ki7I/s1600/BOM+Button.jpg

Welcome to my Link-Up for BOMs Away Mondays!

We'd love to see the BOM you're working on lately.
This week's link-up is at the bottom of this post.


Now that all my BOMs with full block sets have been assembled, I turned to the emotionally challenging task of unboxing my cousin Kelly's BOM work. I was happy to find that all the block patterns were present! There's even a neat stitchery-label pattern.  This is her side of the dual BOM game we were playing with each other across the country in her last months. We each chose a project. Mine was the Dragonfly Party that I designed. Hers was this Joseph Smith quilt pattern. 


Each month we did the work in duplicate and sent one part to each other. The intention was for us to have two twin quilts of each other's choosing after the year. It was a lot of fun. Then she got called to the next life, and it all went on hold. When I went for her funeral, I gathered all her UFOs and identifiable projects and shipped them to my house. I slowly finish her work for her as I work through my own UFO list. 

Kelly had sewn maybe a third of the blocks before she died, and had some fabrics set aside with some of the other patterns. Then there was a stash of reproduction fabrics intended for the project. I do remember her telling me that she was excited to have finally found all the fabrics she wanted to use, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this for her from what she had gathered. I'd like to keep it as close to her own planning as possible. I just love that I kept the notes she sent with the blocks she had done.



Don't have any sewing to share yet. I started to cut out block 2 (she'd skipped around), but the instructions are missing a LOT of cutting instructions. (Bet that's why she skipped it!!)  It's a 5-patch set-up on a 9" block, too, so I can't just wing it. I'm going to have to set up the block in EQ so I can get all the measurements I need. 




In the meantime, folks are hollerin' at me to come to a movie with them, so this is a far as I am on BOM work for this week's linky.  

~*~*~*~*~ 

 What have you guys done on BOMs or interval projects lately? Weeklies are welcome along with regular projects that you’ve broken into monthly units, and –of course- true BOMs.   Share your eye candy and show off your progress since the last time you linked up! There are some wonderful monthly and weekly projects going on out there.  


6 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Lyn, this project is going to moisten my eyes every time you update us, I just know it. Bless you for carrying on with your cousin's work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's lovely that you are going to finish the projects that you and Kelly started together. I'm certain you'll that you'll do a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This may be a hard project to work on at times. She will be with you every step. Such a beautiful thing to continue her work. hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an emotional and yet special thing you were sharing with your cousin Kelly. I know that it will be difficult at times to work on her blocks, but it will also be a time of healing as you may learn things about her you did not know. Oh It may not be earth shattering but every little detail will mean something as you think about her ans enjoy the journey she put together for you unknowingly. Thank you so much for sharing this with us out here. Lyn, I hope you will include us on your process. Don't forget to sent a shout out to us all if you need anything to complete this project, I am sure I am not the only one who would want to help.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you are still sharing with Kelly by working on her part. Hugsss!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you are doing. I used to read a blog when one guild member took all the UFOs of another and began finishing them and then returning them to the family. What a great way to remember someone you love.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by! I answer each comment via email. Sometimes, though, the system fails to notify me that a comment has been left, and if you are a "No-Reply" commentor, I cannot respond. Also, I apologize for having to block anonymous users - too much uncivil spam was coming through to leave the comments completely open.